The ACS is dedicated to healthy coastal ecosystems, vibrant coastal communities and sustainable use of coastal resources.
- Promote knowledge and understanding of the environmental, social and economic value of the Australian coast.
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and knowledge among people involved in the management, planning and development of the Australian coast.
- Contribute to international, national, state and local debates on coastal issues so as to foster rational, open decision-making in order to achieve sustainable use of coastal resources and responsible stewardship of coastal assets.
- Improve public, government and industry understanding of the value of the Australian coast for individual and social well-being, the need to maintain and improve coastal ecosystems, and to ensure the use of ecologically sustainable development practices.
- Promote the protection and conservation of sites of environmental and cultural significance on the coast and in coastal waters.
- Facilitate increased knowledge and skills of people working and studying in coastal natural resource management, planning, development and other relevant industries along the Australian coast.
- Serve as a link between various Australian organisations and individuals with interests in the Australian coast.
- Support national, state and local coastal conferences.
- Do all things necessary for and incidental to the advancement of those objects